Monday, January 11, 2010

Live Like We're Dyin

You gotta start looking at the hands of time we’ve been given here. This is all we got and we gotta start thinking it. Every second counts on a clock that is ticking, gotta live like we’re dying. We only got 86 400 seconds in a day to turn it all around or throw it all away. We gotta tell them that we love them when we got the chance to say….

Now before you all start panicking thinking my worries are getting the best of me, there is a reason I wanted to talk about this particular song lyric. Most of you probably know that this comes from the song “Live Like We’re Dying” by Kris Allen. I was driving into work this morning and heard in on the radio for about the thousandth time but today the words really started to sink in.

In my previous posts you may have noticed a trend of me speaking about seeing the true colors of people when you are getting ready to go through something huge. You really find out who cares about you in your friends and your family. They say the same about planning a wedding (which again, was experienced first hand not too long ago). Why is it that it takes a major event to discover who truly cares, and why is it that the people around you do not always care? I suppose this is a topic I have struggled with throughout my life.

My parents always told me that I tend to trust people to easily or always give them the benefit of the doubt, which in turn ends up hurting me in the end. I have always been this way, I have had ‘friends’ take advantage and walk all over me, I have had ‘family’ truly make me feel like garbage, yet I always go back for more. It is not that I am a weak person, I just feel that if I care about you, I’m not giving up on you.

So why is it that others can’t be the same way? We only have so much time on this earth, are you going to be able to look back at your life and say, “You know, I gave it all I could and I was a good person. I loved everyone in my life and tried my best.” Or are you going to say, “Screw them, I’m not wasting my time…” Hopefully you are going to say the former.

Why is it as humans that we generally let the smallest things destroy our relationships? Whether it be a misunderstanding, a cloud of jealousy, or a simple lost confusion, it isn’t worth it. I do not understand the drama people let into their lives and how they react to it, it is beyond my comprehension where the days of communication went. We simply take another road and do not TRY to fix a problem. Communication is a two way street, it isn’t up to me, or to you to attempt to make things right, it is a collective effort. It is my hope that bridges can be fixed and stronger foundations laid for myself, my family and my friends. And for you, the person reading this that may be going through your own life struggles. It’s not the end of the world, it’s the beginning and your fate is your own hands, how are you going to play the cards that are dealt to you? Hopefully you are going to open your arms, your mind and most importantly your heart and try to live every day to the fullest, so when you look back at your life one day you can say “I lived it the best I could and I have no regrets, only love”

Here we are, exactly two weeks to the date and a certain calm is blanketing over me. I am surrounding myself with those I love, and the door is open for you to come in and ride this journey with me, I promise, I’m not going to let any of you down.

2 comments:

  1. Lis...we're behind you all the way. One week, gal. Keeping you and all those nameless, but caring folks who will be part of your surgery/recovery in my prayers. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa -- After your surgery and recovery, you really should think about pitching your story to some magazines. It's a good story, and it would raise awareness. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete